This site uses technical, analytics and third-party cookies.
By continuing to browse, you accept the use of cookies.

Preferences cookies

Passports and identity cards

NOTE: all forms referenced on this page (e.g. PASS01…) can be found in the forms section (click here).


At this time, Identity Cards are issued only by the Comuni in Italy or by Consular authorities in EU countries. Our offices are not currently authorized to issue them.


To obtain or renew a passport, Italian citizens residing in the Provinces of British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan and the Yukon Territory must submit a completed preliminary “Information Sheet for Record Update” by e-mail to

Information Sheet for adult applicants (over 18): PASS01v1

Information Sheet for minor applicants (under 18): PASS02v1

Citizens who do not have access to e-mail can submit the Sheet by mail, by fax or in person at the Consulate General in Vancouver, the Edmonton Branch, or through an Honorary Consulate / Consular Agent in the jurisdiction (see Consular network).

Within ten business days of receipt of the Information Sheet, the Passport office will inform applicants as to the status of their position, indicating if any additional documentation is required.

Applicants who are married, have children under the age of 18, are divorced or widowed, must also present all supporting Vital Statistics documents if this information has not already been registered in Italy (for detailed instructions see Vital Records).

PLEASE NOTE: the waiting time for a passport appointment in Vancouver is currently about 5 months.



Eligible applicants will be invited to come to the offices in Vancouver/Edmonton/Calgary in person to submit their passport application, have their identity verified and leave their biometric data, including fingerprints.

Applicants must bring the following to their appointment:
1) their most recent Italian passport, if applicable, whether valid or expired; if expired, a second piece of government-issued ID will also be needed (eg Driver’s Licence, passport of a second country, Italian ID, etc.);
3) payment of the consular fee (see below).

Once all the necessary documentation is acquired, applicants are given a date after which they can pick up their new passport. Passports may also be mailed to the applicant’s home address, at the applicant’s expense.

Passports for adults have a validity of 10 (ten) years.

Please note: An Italian citizen residing outside of Italy must be registered in the AIRE (Registry of Italian Citizens Abroad) of an Italian Municipality in order to obtain a passport (for more information visit the AIRE page).


The passport fee (both for adults and for minors) is Euro 116 to be paid exclusively in Canadian dollars. To learn the current corresponding value in Canadian dollars please visit our Consular Fees table in the “Forms” page.
Payment of the passport fee in Vancouver may be made in cash (exact change please), or by money order / bank draft, and is required at the time the fingerprints are acquired. Our Edmonton office and the Honorary Consulate in Calgary (as well as the travelling officer, when operational) ONLY accept money orders or bank drafts. Personal cheques, credit cards or debit cards are not accepted.


Minors under 12 years of age do not need to attend the Consular offices in person, as under that age fingerprinting is not required. Upon examining the Information Sheet for a minor (PASS02v1), the Passport Office will contact the parents/guardians by email with instructions on the procedure, which will be carried out entirely by mail.

Any form of picture ID that the minor may already have (e.g. passport of another nationality) will facilitate the Consulate in the verification of the identification and personal details of the minor.

Effective November 25, 2009, all minors must be issued individual passports. The validity period varies in accordance with the age of the minor:
3 years validity for minors from 0 to 3 years of age;
5 years validity for minors from 3 years of age to the age of maturity (18 years).

The Information Sheet for Minors PASS02v1 must be signed by both parents. Non-EU parents need to sign the PASS04 form in the presence of a Consular officer or, alternatively, of a Notary Public. Non-EU parents who are in Italy can sign it in front of a public officer of the Italian Government (e.g. Questura, Comune) or, if outside of Italy, in front of an officer at the closest Consulate.

Italian or EU parents, on the other hand, will only need to sign the consent form (PASS04a) and bring or email it to our Consulate from their personal email address, together with a copy of their valid Italian ID.



Parental Consent

Under the provisions of art. 20 of Decree Law No. 69, as of June 14, 2023, for the issuance of a passport in favour of a parent with minor children, the applicant must no longer submit the other parent’s consent.

In accordance to the above-mentioned provision of law, when there is a concrete and current risk that, due to a move abroad, a parent with minor children may evade the fulfillment of their obligations towards the children, a court may issue a passport-inhibiting order for a maximum of two years. An application for an injunction or passport-inhibiting order shall be made by appeal to the ordinary court of the place where the minor has their habitual residence. If the child is resident abroad, the application shall be brought before the court of the place of last residence in Italy or the court in whose district their municipality of AIRE registration is located.

Requirements for the issuance of passport in favour of minor children, instead, remain unchanged. 

Should one of the parents refuse to sign the consent form
In the event that one of the parents refuses to sign the consent form for the issuance of a passport for the minor child, the applicant parent must send by mail to the Consulate a signed letter in which the reasons for the refusal of the other parent are explained. This letter must also contain the complete postal address and contact telephone numbers of the non-consenting parent.
In the event of a separation or divorce, the applicant must present all related documents, as well as possible custody arrangement orders concerning the minor(s).
The Consulate will proceed to evaluate the situation and gather all elements needed to make an informed decision on the matter.

Declaration for Unaccompanied Minors
A Declaration for Unaccompanied Minors is required for minors under 14 years of age who are travelling without both parents.

If the minor travels with only one parent, the Declaration is not required because the personal data of the living parents are reported on page 5 of the 48 page passport booklet (also indicated in English and French).

If the minor under 14 travels with neither parent (whether accompanied by a third person or with the airline), the minor’s parent or parents, if residing in our Consular jurisdiction, will need to request a Declaration by submitting to the Consulate the PASS05 form together with:

  • Copy of the Italian passport of the travelling minor;
  • Copy of the passport (whether Italian or of a different nationality) of the parents;
  • Copy of the passport (whether Italian or of a different nationality) of the accompanying person or persons;
  • Copy of the flight tickets of all persons travelling.

The Consulate will then issue a formal document that will be shown to border officers when travelling to, through or from Italy or the EU.

Please note:

These provisions only concern Italian legislation. Contact the authorities of the other countries involved in the trip (including Canada) to learn whether more documentation is required.

A separate PASS05 form must be completed for each child if more children under 14 are travelling.

In particular cases and for exceptional or urgent circumstances, Italian citizens who require a passport while they are away from their place of residence may apply for one at the Italian Consulate in the area in which they are temporarily located.
If the Consular office accepts the request because exceptional circumstances actually apply, the Passport office will request authorization (nulla osta e delega) from the competent Police office (Questura) or other Italian Consulate in order to proceed, and will not be in a position to issue the passport until such authorisation has been received.



Applicants born outside of Italy

The birth of an Italian citizen outside of Italy must be registered with the Italian municipality of origin of the child’s parent or ancestor. Absence of such registration makes it impossible to process the passport application. For more information visit the page pertaining to Vital Records.

Last Italian passport issued before August 15, 1992
Citizens who only have Italian citizenship must submit a “Permanent Resident Card” or a “Search of Citizenship Records”. Those who have acquired other citizenships should submit a certificate of naturalization. Applicants who acquired Canadian citizenship after August 15, 1992 must present the Canadian Citizenship Certificate in large-size (not wallet size). Visit the website of Citizenship and Immigration Canada for further information:

Loss or theft of a passport- procedure for residents

Loss or theft of a passport must first be reported to the local Police.
Once the report has been filed with the local Police, a new passport may be requested upon presentation of the following documents at the Consulate:
– copy of the report or a letter from the Police attesting to the report of the loss or theft of the passport;
– valid picture ID;
– Permanent Resident card or visa (for applicants who are not Canadian citizens);
– the applicant must also sign a declaration concerning the loss or theft of the passport (PASS06).

Loss or theft of a passport: procedure for non-residents
The loss or theft of a passport must first be reported to the local Police.
Once the report has been filed with the local Police, an Emergency Travel Document (ETD) can be requested from our Consulate, upon presentation of the following documents:
– appropriate application form, filled out and signed (PASS07 for adults, PASS08 for minors);
– copy of the report or a letter from the Police attesting to the report of the loss or theft of the passport;
– valid picture ID;
– two recent (max six months) good-quality colour photographs, 3.5 x 4.5 cm, on white background;
– photocopy of the missing passport, or indication of its number, date of issue and issuing authority;
– e-ticket or booking of the return flight to fly back to Italy or to the applicant’s country of residence, complete with indication of the transit airports;
– the applicant must also sign a declaration concerning the loss or theft of the passport (PASS06).

The ETD has a validity of only few days, can only be used to go back to one’s home country and cannot be used for other travel purposes. Its cost is indicated in the Table of Consular Fees.



Only in the event of absolute and documented urgency (need to travel for serious personal /family reasons or to return to Italy in case of citizens only temporarily abroad), is it possible to request a passport through a rush procedure.

Such urgency must be justified by:

– death or serious health condition of a close relative outside Canada: a medical certificate will be requested, as well as a letter signed by the applicant explaining the reasons for the urgency procedure request;

serious family reasons: a detailed request by the applicant will be needed, possibly accompanied by supporting documentation;

undelayable work-related reasons: a detailed request by the applicant’s employer will be needed, on the employer’s letterhead, possibly accompanied by supporting documentation (e.g. registration to an international conference etc.).

The request will be examined and, if approved, the applicant will need to pay the urgency fee on top of the regular passport fee, and the passport will be issued within 24 hours from the reception of the complete documentation needed to issue a passport normally. For applicable urgency fees, please look in the “Table of Consular Fees” (art. 74) in the “Forms” page of this website.

Unless exceptional circumstances apply, the rush procedure is recognized only for the applicant, not for their family or friends.

Please do not purchase air tickets before obtaining the issuance/renewal of your passport. The mere possession of an airline ticket is NOT considered as an urgent reason to request expedited processing.

Last update: June 15, 2023