This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK





Where can I find tourist information, maps and brochures on Italy?
Visit the website of the Italian Government Tourist Board (ENIT):
ENIT office in Canada (Toronto): 

Where can I find information about fiscal obligation in Italy?
Please visit the website of the Italian Revenue Agency

Can I claim a refund of IVA (VAT) on the goods I purchase in Italy?
EU non-resident travellers may be granted VAT refund for goods intended for personal or familiar use purchased in Italy, provided that the overall value of goods exceeds 155 Euro. There are no rebates of the IVA tax on hotels, restaurants or tourist services. Detailed information on how to get IVA refunds and customs formalities are available at the following address of the Italian Customs Agency (Agenzia delle Dogane e dei Monopoli):
Please note that the goods purchased and the relevant invoice must be shown at the Customs of exit from the EU territory. The invoices or VAT refund forms can be endorsed only by the Customs officials, the Consulate General is not authorized to endorse any VAT refund forms or invoices of good purchased in Italy or in EU.

I am travelling to Italy, do I have customs duty exemption for products and consumer goods I am carring in my luggages?
Provisions concerning currency: Importation and exportation of foreign currency and bearer stocks is allowed up to Euro 10,000.00 without any declaration. For amounts exceeding this limit, a declaration form must be completed when leaving or entering the customs territory.
Customs duty exemption is granted for products and consumer goods carried by travellers coming from countries not belonging to the EU or carried inside their baggage provided that they are not intended for trade. For detailed information please vist the website of the Italian Customs Agency (Agenzia delle Dogane e dei Monopoli):

Can I travel to Italy with my pet?
A new Regulation, 998\2003\EC regulating the animal health requirements applicable to the non-commercial movement of pet animals (dogs, cats, and ferrets) in the European Union Member States is effective as of October 2, 2004.
According to this new regulation, to introduce animals in Italy from third countries, among which Canada, it is mandatory to obtain a European Community veterinary certificate (see Forms) for each pet that will be introduced in the Member States. A new certificate has been approved by the Commission Decision 2004/203/EC on February 18, 2004 and all subsequent amendments.
The document foresees that pet animals:
a) Should be identifiable by a clearly readable tattoo or an electronic identification system (transponder/microchip), which provides the pet owner’s name and address;
b) Have a valid vaccination against rabies.

To introduce pet animals in Italy from Canada, it is not necessary to subject the animals to tick or echinococcus treatments.
For animals coming specifically from Canada (Annex II, Section C of the 998\2003\EC regulation) it is also not necessary to subject the animals to the Rabies serological test.
In the initial stage, pet owners will be allowed, not withstanding the existing provisions of the new law (Commission Decision 2004\301\EC) to introduce pet animals with a different formatted veterinary certificate provided that all information pertaining the new requirements is still available (as provided for by the 998\2003\EC law), that the certificate has been obtained prior to October 1, 2004, and that the vaccination validity date on the certificate is still current.

Passengers may enter Italy with up to a maximum of five pets as long as they are included in the following list:
- Birds (small birds with the exception of parrots, see below), dogs, cats, fish (small), common frogs, common reptiles, rodents (except rabbits and hares), common lizards and green lizards, and small turtles.
Pets can enter Italy only if accompanied by their owner/s and if they have a valid health certificate (link to certificate) issued by a certified veterinarian in the country of origin. The issue date on the certificate should not exceed 30 days prior the departure date. The certificate does NOT need to be authenticated or certified by this Consulate.
Passengers may also enter Italy accompanied by a maximum of 2 parrots for the larger species or up to a maximum of 4 parrots for the smaller species as long as they are accompanied by a certificate of origin and health attesting that there were no cases of psittacosis in the last 12 months within a radius of 15 miles from the place of origin.

For Dogs:
We would like to remind you that in Italy it is mandatory to use:
• A muzzle for dogs that walk on the streets or any other open space without a leash
• A muzzle and a leash for dogs in public places and public transportation (article 83 of D.P.R. 320/54 of the Veterinary Police Regulations).

How can I apply for a visa to Italy?
Please refer to our Visa page.