This site uses cookies to provide a better experience. Continuing navigation accept the use of cookies by us OK




Customs exemptions

Customs exemptions apply to goods which are for personal or family use and which, given their quantity and nature, are intended for non-commercial purposes. 

Such exemptions are allowed for the importation of the personal belongings of private individuals, who are transferring their normal place of residence from a country outside the European Union to one within, provided that:

- The person has lived outside the EC territory for at least twelve consecutive months;
- The personal belongings being imported have been used for at least six months in the previous place of residence;
- The personal belongings are intended for the same purpose and use in the new place of residence as in the former one.

Exemptions do not apply to: alcoholic products, tobacco or tobacco products, transportation of a commercial nature; materials for professional use excluding hand-held tools for the skilled trades and liberal arts. 
The requirement at point number (2) is met automatically when it concerns previously used durable goods.  Registered vehicles (cars, motorcycles, etc.), however, must be accompanied by proof of ownership and use. 

Repatriating Italian emigrants, wishing to take advantage of benefits offered by regional legislation (i.e. favorable mortgage rates, partial re-imbursement of travel and moving expenses, etc.), should contact competent local authorities.

The following documents are required in order to obtain a certificate of residence from this Consulate:
- statement issued by the person’s employer in the third country;
- residential lease agreement; or
- latest income tax return.

The Consulate General may request additional documentation, if it is deemed necessary. 

With respect to audio-visual products (i.e. radios, televisions, video-recorders, computers, personal computers, etc.), any items bearing the CE marking cannot be imported, except for those purchased prior to January 1, 1996 and accompanied by appropriate documentation (i.e. purchase receipt).  In accordance with current legislation, CE conformity cannot be self-certified.    

The following conditions must be met when importing an automobile or motorcycle duty free:
- at least twelve months of residency abroad;
- at least six months of ownership and use of the vehicle (ownership certificate);
- Certified vehicle identification number;
- Codice fiscale (Italian social insurance number).

Please consult for additional related information, including the procedure to be followed when registering a vehicle either through an agency or directly with the vehicle registration office (Ufficio della Motorizzazione).